Monday, January 29, 2007

A New Kind of Who We Are

I was honored recently when asked if I would fill in as a guest editor for an upcoming ezine. I quickly said yes, though, I soon learned I'd have to pick a theme for my assigned month.

A theme.

Typically, any type of structure like this is pretty hard for me. I tend to wander all over the place, and in my wandering, I’m not always sure where I’ll end up.

But, thankfully, I stumbled across the Gospel of Mark, and sure enough, said theme started to surface as I became reacquainted with the following passage:

16 Passing along the beach of Lake Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew net-fishing. Fishing was their regular work. 17 Jesus said to them, "Come with me. I'll make a new kind of fisherman out of you. I'll show you how to catch men and women instead of perch and bass." 18 They didn't ask questions. They dropped their nets and followed. (Mark 1: 16-18 The Message)

The usual premise that springs up here is, roughly speaking, all that we need to lay down, right about now, before we can fully follow Jesus. What part of who we are or what we have would seem so completely illogical for us to give up, yet somehow we'd do it anyway, no questions asked?


That's a tough one.

But, taking this emerging theme a step further, I think we've all traditionally known the translation of Jesus calling out to Simon and Andrew, offering that he would make them into “fishers of men.” Very evangelical and that's just fine.

But The Message renders it:

“I’ll make a new kind of fisherman out of you.”

That’s an interpretation I'd never considered. Maybe you hadn't either.

And here's the thing: we know that fishing was the livelihood of Simon and Andrew. We further know that fishing was not only what they did from dawn to dusk—it was who they were. It was in and through fishing that these two men found their identity. Jesus obviously knew this, so he spoke their language and he beckoned them to give their identity over to him, and in so doing, they would be transformed into something different, something adventurous and exciting.


A new way to live.

It couldn't have been easy. That was quite a lot to give up. Everything they knew and everything they were expected to become was wrapped up in fishing.

But, is it possible that Jesus never meant for them to give up who they were? In fact, it seems like he was offering them the concept of becoming a new kind of who they were.

If that's the case, where do we find our identity? What labels us from dawn to dusk? What is it about us that we've been afraid to let go of, to give up, to lay down, always fearing that we'd somehow sacrifice that which defines us?

Do we trust Jesus enough to handle our collective transformation into a new kind of who we are?

“Come with me. I’ll make a new kind of _______________ out of you.”

Let's fill in the blank and find out.

4 comments:

Gigi said...

He wants us 'easy' and WE make it hard......

christina joy said...

hey friend! i think i am finally re-establishing some semblance of a routine this new semester. i feel like i've been out of it.

i have printed off your last few chapters and will read them tonight.

prayers with you,
cj

Anonymous said...

im still pondering this

Joash Chan said...

i never saw the passage that way... it's refreshing. Thanks for sharing...