Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Chapter 34 He Carefully Untangles Me

There’s a low growl of pistons exploding beyond me and I stand still, hoping such a storm is approaching. I count the echoes as they defy my silence, and then I lie still and listen as they overlap and threaten each other, over and over some more. It’s coming closer, indeed and I’m nervous, for I’ve lost my way. Again.

Will such a disturbance confront my rebellion and stop to see me, or will I be denied? The collective bleating of a flock is a low hum now, a cackle off in the distance, over and beyond some hill I snuck away from. There are thousands calling out his name at the very moment I am, dare I say millions, and so, just like others bowing to such competition, I forfeit. I will let them have him, for surely I am just one and very unnoticeable.

But he knows me, and he calls me by name, louder and louder still. I know his voice too; I hear it above the thundering lack of a muffler and he’s weeping. I am hoarse from shouting back at the top of my lungs, no less a sheep who has strayed from my Master. I’m caught in a thicket, in this dark exile, my once able limbs broken symbolically in the brush.

Before long his engine is idling and he runs to me. He carefully untangles me and lifts me up and out of it; he fears no emasculation as his tears flow, for he knows they cleanse. Each and every one will cleanse.

“It’s time to ride again, Jeff” he says gently. “But first, a celebration!”

He's not angry? Surely, no one has loved me like this. He knows my name. He knows it like I'm the only sheep around. I was but one, drifting from some ninety-nine in a drove who stayed, and yet he is dancing and beckoning such a feast.

I was lost and now I'm found. That is all the explanation I need.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Mercy, this is beautiful...

Gigi said...

beautiful...honest...timely....just all of it and I am praising Him for you finding Him again as if we ever really lose Him....thanks for this Jeff

Lesley said...

yes, beautiful.

question, though: do you ever feel contempt for the 99 sheep that always stay behind? i do sometimes.

i know that's not the point of the sheep parable, and i know that it most likely springs from my fierce, american-bred idealization of individualism--but sometimes i feel like i should get credit for being brave enough to explore new terrain. even if i do get lost in the process.

so i go said...

hmmm.. that's interesting. i think for me it's hard because it's less about individualism and more about flat out rebellion and sin. i switch from the obedient team to the other side pretty quickly. it's a lack of discipline for me and i think my Baptist upbringing will always break it down to a rule following game, though i try desperately to shove that into the back of my psyche. i'm either obedient or i'm a rebel, and i can't last too long on either side. making matters worse, if i'm in the obedient group, i'm judgmental of the one who strayed. and vice versa. nice, huh?

Haiasi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
christina joy said...

i love this! thanks for sharing it.